User blogs

Admin


UTME: JAMB registers 600, 000 candidates, says no extension period

The Joint Admission and Matriculation Board (JAMB), has so far registered 600, 000 candidates for the 2017 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) across the country.

Dr Fabian Benjamin, Head of Public Relations JAMB, made this known on Monday in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Bwari, FCT.... more

Admin Apr 3
Admin


The Federal High Court, Uyo, on Friday struck out the application for stay of execution filed by Sen. Bassey Akpan, of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) representing Akwa Ibom North..

Akpan filed the suit for the court to stay execution of its Feb. 27 judgment, which was in favour of Mr Bassey Etim, also of the PDP.... more

Admin Mar 31
Admin


A military man, Sunday Umaru, has been dragged before a Barkin-Ladi High Court in Plateau, for allegedly killing his lover, Charity Thomas, over a phone call.

Umaru, a married man, was a Private in the Nigerian Army and on posting at the Special Task Force (STF), sector 7, Barkin Ladi, at the time of the incident, on Jan. 23, 2016.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the hearing, scheduled for March 30, could not hold following the absence of Justice Samson Gang, who was said to be attending a function elsewhere.... more

Admin Mar 31
Admin


Adamawa lawmakers have agreed to donate N1. 25 million to Isa Hamma, a patient, who lost his kidney to an operation that went wrong in a private clinic in Yola.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) recalls that in June 2016, a doctor of a private clinic in Jimeta (name withheld), allegedly conducted a surgery on the victim, a herdsman, removing his kidney in the process.... more

Admin Mar 31
Admin


A 30-year-old man, Sunday Ngene, who allegedly stabbed a trader with cutlass and defecated in his shop, was on Friday docked at the Ikeja Magistrates’ Court.

Ngene, a resident of Agege Area, a suburb of Lagos, is standing trial on a three-count charge of indecent acts, threatening violence and assault.

The prosecutor, Insp. Raji Akeem, told the court that the accused pleaded not guilty to the offences he committed on March 7 at No. 92, Ipaja Road, Oke-Koto, Agege.

Akeem said the accused assaulted James Edeoga by stabbing him with a cutlass on the hand.

The prosecutor said Ngene attempted to buy some goods from the complainant, but when Edeoga refused to sell to him, the accused defecated in his shop and rubbed it on some of the complainant’s goods.

Akeem said when the complainant tried to confront the accused, he attacked the complainant with a cutlass.

Magistrate T.O. Shomade granted the accused bail in the sum of N100,000 with two sureties in like sum.

The sureties must be gainfully employed and show evidence of two-year tax payment to the Lagos State Government.

The magistrate adjourned hearing in the case till April 10.

Admin Mar 31
Admin


The Police Command in Taraba on Friday confirmed the death of a two-year-old boy, Aondohemba Felix, in an attack at Maihula Ward in the Bali Local Government Area of Taraba.

The Spokesman of the command, Mr David Misal, confirmed the development in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Jalingo.

Misal said the gunmen, who attacked Maihula around 10: 30 p.m. on March 30 also shot and injured the boy’s father, Mr Felix Mnguorga and his pregnant wife, Mrs Terwuese Felix.

“The attack took place in the night of Thursday in Maihula area of Bali, where a two-year-old boy was shot dead.

“The mother, Terwuese with nine months pregnancy and the father, Felix were seriously injured in the attack.”

Misal said the command had deployed operatives to Maihula to hunt down the gunmen and bring them to justice.

According to him, the injured husband and wife are currently receiving treatment at the General Hospital, Bali.

Misal advised residents of Taraba to always assist security operatives with information on criminal acts in their areas.

Admin Mar 31
Admin


Navy destroy illegal refinery with 1.59m litres of stolen diesel

The Nigerian Navy on Friday said it had discovered and destroyed an illegal refinery with 1.59 million litres of illegally refined diesel during a mop-up operation in Port Harcourt.

Speaking at the destruction exercise, Commodore Williams Kayoda, the Commander of Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS) Pathfinder, however, said no arrest was made during the raid.

Kayoda said the navy deployed troops to the site after it got intelligence report about the illegal refinery situated around Iwofe, Rumuolumeni area of Port Harcourt.

“Troops arriving at the site discovered 24 metallic tanks with each containing 60,000 litres of petroleum product suspected to be illegally refined diesel.

“Similarly, we discovered wooden boats with 150,000 litres of diesel believed to be stolen diesel.

“The petroleum product was evacuated to a safe location before troops destroyed the illegal refinery using a Swamp Buggy machine which completely crushed the metallic tanks.

“This new strategy is part of our efforts to end current air pollution in Port Harcourt while making it difficult for oil thieves to revive illegal refineries after it was destroyed,” he said.

The commander said the use of “Swamp Buggy” was part of tactics which involved complete crushing of metal tanks rather than setting both storage tanks and petroleum products ablaze.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the new strategy was adopted following reports that burning of illegal refineries was partly responsible for current air pollution in Port Harcourt.

The Swamp Buggy strategy adopted by the navy replaces a former approach which involved setting ablaze illegal refineries and illegal bunker sites with its petroleum products.

Kayoda said the navy was committed to protecting the environment and health of residents and assured that it would carry out its mandate in line with standard practice.

“The Nigerian Navy will sustain this strategy until we bring this menace to a stop because the economic prosperity of the nation cannot be compromised to criminal individuals and groups.

“Operation Rivers Sweep which was concluded in February and being consolidated with ongoing Operation White Valentine are part of efforts to stop illegal bunkering and oil theft,” he said.

Also speaking during destruction exercise, Prof. Roseline Konya, the Rivers Commissioner of Environment, said the Rivers Government had setup a task force which was mandated to discover and stop the source of the air pollution.

She said that Gov. Nyesom Wike had given the task force a matching order to locate the source of the air pollution which causes lung infection and cancer.

“We have seen that the military were in the past burning illegal refineries partly because they had no alternatives.

“We are glad to witness that they no longer burn illegal refineries; but destroy the sites by removing illegally refined petroleum products before they crush storage tanks with Swap Buggy machines.

“The Rivers government is pleading with individuals organisations such as the Army and Navy to assist us locate and eradicate the source of the soot,” she said.

Konya, who is chairperson of the task force, commended the navy on the new Swamp Buggy strategy.

Admin Mar 31
Admin


The Federal Government on Wednesday asked the Indian Government to ensure the immediate arrest and prosecution of those responsible for attacks on Nigerian students in an Indian university.

The Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Olushola Enikanolaiye, made the call during a meeting with the Indian High Commissioner to Nigeria, Amb. Nagabushana Reddy, in Abuja.... more

Admin Mar 30
Admin

EFCC finds $86m Paris Club refund in NGF’s account

MORE cash believed to be part of the London-Paris Club loan refund has been found by  the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

The US$86,546,526.65 was remitted into the account of the Nigerian Governors Forum (NGF).

The account is said to have been depleted to about $17million as at the time the probe started.... more

Admin


The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Borno Command, said on Thursday it has arrested a man, Ahmed Alibe, 21, posing as a soldier and molesting members of the public.

The Corps Commandant, Ibrahim Abdullahi, said Alibe was arrested on Wednesday at the Nasara Computer Centre in the state capital.... more

Pages: «« « ... 3 4 5 6 7 »

Blogs

Admin
Ekiti State Governor Ayodele Fayose has raised a p... more
Admin Jun 23
Admin
The Lagos State Police Command yesterday described... more
Admin Jun 23
Admin
Federal High Court sitting in Ibadan has ordered t... more
Admin Jun 23
Advert here